Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pau to St-Gaudins (1, 2 August):

I was hoping not to have to deal with clouds again but weather was settling in and it was obvious that I was either going to be socked in with fog or get wet in the next few days. Turns out it was both.

I stayed in the foot hills from Pau to St-Gaudins and this is a typical shot for the days trip.  I did this as I definitely wanted to stay out of the clouds.
All in all a pretty nice day on lots of small back roads but as the day progressed it got worse.  It looked like tomorrow was going to be rainy.

The next day I got up and assessed the weather.  My original plan was to head north for 160 km on mountain roads D33 to C28 then C13 to N260 and finally to Andorra.  But, I did not want to travel 160 km with 20 foot of visibility so I decided against that route.  Actually, my return for that loop was to come back on N20 and I could see that if I took this to Foix then D117 a lower route might keep me with better visibility.  So, I thought, I will take what would have been my ‘easy’ return route from Andorra and use it as my 'going-to' route.

After I got half way there it was obvious that the weather was progressively getting worse but I pushed on.  Next, I find myself actually on the mountain road heading to Andorra and at about 40 miles out, I hit the clouds.  I forgot to mention that traffic to Andorra was bumper to bumper and going at about 2 miles per hour when it was moving at all.  So, 40 miles to go, bumper to bumper slow to stop speeds and I am considering rolling around and heading back.  Clearly this days destination was going to be a bust.  But, wait - I thought, I am only 40 miles away from my destination I can’t turn back now.  So, at 20 feet of visibility, I start passing cars 20 at a time and more as I edge my way up the mountain.  For the next 40 miles of passing on mountain roads in the fog with little visibility (I know – not smart) I make it to Andorra.  Wait till you see my picture.

Yep.  That’s it.  People tell me the small country of Andorra is beautiful but you could not prove it by me.  I guess I will have to try it again some time.  I did eat lunch there in a restaurant and it was good.  Saw lots of tourists buying junk and cigarettes.  So, after lunch, I have about 160 km to go back to the hotel with my great Andorran picture and it starts to rain – hard.  I pull over and put my rain gear on and just keep my head down for the ride.  A not very pleasant trip back to the hotel. 

I had to laugh after about 30 miles down the side of the mountain as there had been no stopping for passports or customs officials but French customs had cars out and pulling vans and cars over left and right checking for contraband that taxes had not been paid for.  After 30 miles I bet they had thought they got away with it.

So, one day in 10 that was not so good. That is pretty good for being on the road and I am not complaining.  I got to see Andorra – sort of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment