Sunday, August 8, 2010

La Rochelle to Libourne (29 July):

Next destination for the day was Les Sables-d’Olonne.  I drove into the town just to check it out and saw that it was a tourist town.  I got some cash at a local ATM and quickly headed south.  I stopped at the beaches and took a few pics.

I was getting disappointed that there did not appear to be any well defined coastal roads that were not tourist routes and then discovered exactly what I was looking for south of Royan.  I followed a great D-road coastal system (starting off on D-145) from Royan down to near Bourg that provided me with views of the sea, countryside. lowlands and bluffs with narry a car to be seen.  In fact, in order to do this, after D-145, I had to ignore my GPS all the way.  It kept trying to get me on a D-route further from the coast and every time it told me to turn left, I turned right or went straight on.  These roads were not in the GPS nor on the map. 



































I came across a slue at low tide near Maubert and decided to give my butt a rest.  I got off and took some pics and then saw a very beautiful girl walking in the distance and she seemed to be steering her way right to me.  In fact, that is what she did.  How pleasant.  She was a college student and wanted me to help her fill out a questionnaire concerning the use and preservation of the slue area as a natural resource.  So for the next 10 minutes we got to play 20 questions and she wrote down what I told her.  A nice rest stop for sure.  This coastal area is an area that is worthy of much more exploration on a future trip.





Here you see the slue at low tide.  All the boats are stuck in the mud but the ducks are still happy.























I saw some more sunflowers.  I told them all a joke but they just turned their backs to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment